Monday, September 7, 2015

Jackfruit Seeds Curry, Palakottai Varuval


          This year's jackfruit season is over, as much as I miss the fruits, I miss the seeds too. In fact my daughter doesn't like the fruit at all, but she likes the seeds very much, especially in the sambar that I make with drumstick and the seeds. Usually I'll buy a dozen jackfruit bulbs or the edible part of the fruit and always used the seeds for making the sambar. Once, I got a large quantity of the seeds alone and I wanted to try out a varuval ( curry ) with it, I made it just like the way I make potato curry. It's an easy dish and it goes very well with rice and dal/sambar..

Need To Have

  • Jackfruit Seeds - about 2 cups
  • Onion - 1 big, chopped
  • Sambar Powder - 1 teaspoon
  • Red Chilly Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
  • Fennel Seeds Powder - 1 teaspoon
  • Turmeric Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
  • Curry Leaves - 10
  • Salt to taste

Method


          I have shown how to peel and clean the seeds, usually when you remove the seeds from the fruit, it has a slimy outer skin, remove that and let the seeds dry. Then remove the outer white skin, usually I cut the seeds into half, then peel the skin, it has another thin brown skin inside.


           Either you can use it as such, or soak the seeds in water for some time, then scrape the brown skin, cook the seeds with some water and salt till cooked.


          Now heat some oil, add the chopped onion, followed by the fennel seeds powder and saute till the onion turns pink. Now add the jackfruit seeds, turmeric powder, sambar powder, red chilly powder, curry leaves and salt and keep sauteing on low heat till the seeds are well roasted.


Note
The seeds should be soft to the bite but should not become too soft or mushy.
If you like pepper powder, you can add a little towards the end and roast, it'll give a nice flavor.
Pin It

7 comments: